Christchurch, Hampstead was built between 1850 and 1852 and designed by the architect Samuel Daukes in the Early English Gothic style. In 1881–82 the north porch and aisle were added on. The church is constructed of Kentish ragstone with Portland stone dressings and slate roofs. The tall spire of Christchurch is visible for miles around and the church is closely connected to the old village of Hampstead and the Heath.
Stone EdgeConservation were instructed by the PCC of Christchurch, Hampstead to deliver a 36 week long programme of cleaning, stonework and roof repairs. Superheated steam cleaning (DOFF) was completed to the spire and stone elevations. Stone indent repairs and replacements were made to the Bath stone moulded and Kent Ragstone ashlar infill. Removal of cementitious mortar pointing and replacement with hydraulic lime based pointing. Hydraulic lime shelter coat was added to friable areas especially to the high level parapet walls to the spire.
We also replaced three of the stone crosses where they were either missing or in a dangerous condition. Two of these were carved on-site by our talented banker masons. Replacement Bath stone copings to parapet walls and roof gables were also made.