We’ve recently started work on restoration of the Grade II listed Water Tower at Avenue House in Finchley, North London. Built in 1880, the tower was originally part of the domestic water supply for the Victorian mansion house and extensive landscaped gardens, which were gifted to the people by owner Henry Charles ‘Inky’ Stephens, of the Stephens Ink Company. The 9 meter high tower is built from concrete with pebble dash render and a crenelated top. It has suffered large cracks to the concrete and was until recently heavily overgrown with ivy.
As the main contractor on this Heritage Lottery Funded project, our work includes render repairs, structural repairs, a new membrane to the roof, timber repairs and new window installation. As with many buildings of this kind, the intention is not to reinstate the original pristine condition, but to retain as much historic fabric as possible together with the patina of ageing.
Upon completion, the Tower will serve as a folly in the landscaped gardens of this popular North London visitor attraction and events venue.
Posted by Deli Bryan on 25th Jul, 2018